Björn Persson <bjorn <at> xn--rombobjrn-67a.se> writes:

> JB wrote:
> > This does not help in this case. The attack's effect can happen at any time
> > and catch systemd with its pants down at any time in the scenarios you
> > described.
> > The attack is on socket buffer availability via kernel, it lasts until no
> > resource is available system-wide. At that point systemd or any other
> > socket-based communication is brought to a standstill.
> > The point is, systemd can not be stopped, or restarted/reinitialized/reset
> > as any other stand-alone service daemon relying on sockets availability
> > manually.
> > The process #1, the GOD of all processes, is incapacitated, for good.
>
> I searched for "attack" and "socket buffer availability" trying to find out
> what kind of attack you're talking about. Duckduckgo had never heard about
> it.
> Google gave me three hits, and all three were your previous message in this
> list. It would help if you could explain how this attack works and how
> exactly it would cause SystemD to lock up.
>
> Is it perchance a syn flood you're talking about? If so, we have a good
> defense since ages. It's known as syn cookies.
>
> Björn Persson

The link is in one of my posts above, but here it is again:
http://www.securiteam.com/unixfocus/6U00P1PEVQ.html
It contains a detailed description and the original CVE link.
Once again, it is about DOS of a resource in question, that is a socket buffer
memory, with system-wide effect, obviously on any socket-based process.

JB