On Wed, 24.08.11 10:05, Adam Williamson (awill...@redhat.com) wrote:

> > FWIW, I do think that there may be use-cases for socket activation of a
> > database.  I'd like to support the option ... the problem is to do so
> > without breaking existing, expected behaviors.
>
> It was noted up-thread that systemd can tell you whether the underlying
> daemon is running or not, though I guess that doesn't tell you whether
> it's entirely in a functional state. You could do a two-stage thing:
> check with systemd whether the daemon is running, and ping it if so?

systemd will put services only in "running" state if they are fully up
and told systemd so. They'll be in "starting" until that time. All we
need for this is that services either use Type=forking and double
fork+exit in parent, or use Type=notify and sd_notify("READY=1") as soon
as they are fully up.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.