----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:51:26AM -0500, Matyas Selmeci wrote:
> > Kevin Kofler wrote on Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 01:02:26PM +0200:
> > >
> > > In this case, I think disjunctive dependencies (default |
> > > virtual), as
> > > Matthew Garrett pointed out, are the right solution, not soft
> > > dependencies
> > > (though those would also be nice).
> > >
> > >         Kevin Kofler
> > Functionally speaking, what is the difference between a soft
> > dependency
> > and a disjunctive dependency? How can you satisfy a soft dependency
> > if
> > you don't know what virtual dependency it is being used to provide?
>
> If we have:
>
> Requires: phonon-backend
> Suggests: phonon-backend-gstreamer
>
> What would you expect the outcome to be on a system that has
> phonon-backend-xine? I'd have thought that phonon-backend-gstreamer
> would get installed, even if you can later remove it. That's not the
> desired outcome.

I wouldn't have thought that.  I would have thought that if the Requires was
already satisfied by phonon-backend-xine, that processing would stop there.
You have no need for suggests or recommends either one when the dependency is
already satisfied IMO.  But, I didn't write any spec around that, so it may be
implemented differently in the real (deb) world.