On 01/26/2012 10:45 PM, Mark Bidewell wrote:
> I just had a conversation which I believe sheds some light on the
> problem which a rolling release is trying to solve. The example is
> Ubuntu bu you could apply the same to Fedora/RHEL.
>
> My coworker wants to use Ubuntu LTS for development on Heroku.  He
> wants the stability of an LTS, but he needs a later version of Ruby to
> run the Heroku tools.

Rolling releases won't solve this problem because your coworker wants
the stability of long releases. He wants the base to be stable and edges
to be fluid.

He has found that there is not supported way to
> upgrade Ruby short of recompiling Ruby or upgrading his entire system.
>  Because of this he has returned to developing on OS X which handles
> the Ruby upgrade.
>
> I understand the cry of "what about dependencies?"  However, if Linux
> is to succeed we need to be able to be able to work with cases like
> this one which OS X are fine with i.e.  where only one or two packages
> out of an entire system need to be upgraded leaving the rest of the
> system alone.

The solution that Mac OS X has come up with is bundling however the
problem is that Linux is not a monolithic platform like Mac OS X and the
amount of bundling you have to do is much higher.  Nothing other than
kernel or maybe glibc can be guaranteed to exist.  There are some tools
in this area.  glick for instance:

http://people.gnome.org/~alexl/glick2/

Rahul