On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:
> Peter Jones wrote:
>> In yesterday's FESCo meeting I told you I'd make a list of specific issues
>> I have with the current proposal for ARM as a primary archictecture. There
>> are some places where I think the current proposal fails to deal with some
>> necessary aspects of becoming a primary architecture, and some places
>> where I don't think the approach is quite right.
>
> How about: "support for the main hardware features on commonly-used hardware
> is Free Software, and included in the upstream software (kernel, X.Org X11,
> CUPS, SANE etc.) where appropriate"? Right now, this is clearly NOT the case
> for OpenGL on ARM, so by promoting ARM, we'd promote proprietary (graphics)
> driver use.

No, we've never said that ever! But then there are a lot of desktops
that run just fine without OpenGL. 3D really wasn't in a great state
even in x86 until Fedora 15 with a lot of drivers only doing it
partially or not at all, even now there's only really 3 well supported
sets of HW that are well supported with 3D in Fedora... ie Intel,
AMD/ATI and nVidia and even those aren't perfect yet. I don't see how
full OpenGL support should be an argument because there's still really
on a subset of x86 hardware that currently supports it.

Peter