On 28 August 2012 09:39, Miloslav Trmač <m...@volny.cz> wrote:

> After all, the F17 and F18 spec files will do _different_ things.  I
> don't think it's unreasonable that the spec files themselves will be
> different - yes, that may be less convenient than having the same spec
> file for all branches, but allowing for the possibility for
> differences if why we have the branches in the first place.

I have the opposite feeling, having a single spec file for all the releases
would be a *huge* benefit (at least for me) for all the things that can be
updated in all releases.
All the packages I mantain have %ifs defined for RHEL/CentOS variants and
Fedora ones so they can be rebuilt everywhere and at least for the bacula
part the rebuilt packages are used a lot [1]. This also helps fixing stuff
once for all supported releases.

This has led to a super-long list of %post sections for a single spec file;
which is ok considering the SysV and systemd differences:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/bacula.git/tree/bacula.spec

Adding another variant for f18+ can be done, but I would prefer into
avoiding this.

Thanks,
--Simone

[1] http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/slaanesh/bacula/README.txt

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of
the shore (R. W. Emerson).