On 09/07/2012 07:13 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
I'm not sure the right place for this sort of
thing is in the init system.

Well I happen to be sure that the init systemd regardless of which flavor of the month it is should handle this because it is responsible to signal the service(s) and or order the service after the network connection is established.

To me it's pointless to have the plethora of network managment application that exist out there playing some kind of middle man there talking to the init system and telling it when it's ready or when it's gone.

And here comes the bigger question what is keeping all you networking guys from simply combine all that effort and coming up with one single network application that everybody can use happily from embedded to servers to desktop?

JBG