On 10/11/2012 02:44 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 13:11 +0300, Serge wrote:
2012/10/9 tim.lauridsen wrote:

So you make your system incompatible with every other Linux distro out
there, and with all existing documentation, but to what end? Tidyness?

Tidyness, simplicity, new features... Incompatible with older, but
compatible with newer distros. That's close to what Solaris does on
its livecd and really close to what Android does on mobile phones.

As my favourite American folk saying goes: 'close' only counts in
horseshoes and hand grenades. :)

A proposal to change the filesystem that was synchronized with and
planned to continue to be identical to (or at least fully compatible
with) how it's done in Android and Solaris, with the participation of
Google and Oracle, would be a more interesting proposal than 'let's just
do something kind of like what they're doing, but not the same, on our
own, not co-ordinating with them'. It might still face a lot of
resistance, but it'd be _more_ interesting.

Turning /lib into /usr/lib was also incompatible with every other Linux
distro, nevertheless it's already done.

As was already said, that change also had clear concrete benefits;  the
incompatibility was acknowledged as a drawback, but the benefit was
traded off against the drawback, and it won.

Really? Don't you think the answers on in this thread speak a different language.

Your proposal seems short
on clear concrete benefits, but still has all the drawback. Other
distros are now adopting /usr move,  which is kind of what we expected to
happen, so that drawback will go away. They'd be less likely to adopt a
change like this, made for the sake of 'neatness'.
Openly said, I believe this is just an "imitation cult" - These other distros will likely go through the same learning curves as Fedora and come to the same conclusions as Fedora.

"UsrMove" being a mistake, which should be reverted.

Ralf