On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 07:16:12AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 12/21/2012 06:36 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >So?
>
> Next the FHS, it is one of the fundamental "standards", which define
> the basis of all packaging works on Linux/GNU and thus also the FPG.

No, it defines the GNU project's standards for their own projects.
Fedora's not a GNU project, and nor are most of the packages we ship.

> >The GCS describe the behaviour of code written to the GCS, nothing
> >more. The majority of the software we ship doesn't conform to them.
>
> I disagree again. Most packages silently conform its path
> conventions, only few don't and only few explicitly exploit it.

The path convention is a small part of the GCS.

> >They're not a GNU project, and so there's no reason for them to follow
> >the GCS.
> Sure, but there is hardly any reason for a package to not adopt it.

Sure there is - most distributions don't have libexec, and so software
that depends on it will have inconsistent paths on different
distributions.

--
Matthew Garrett | mj...@srcf.ucam.org