Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com> writes:
> Would this involve moving around any of the provides for mysql over to
> MariaDB?

Yes, that's the general idea --- any dependencies on mysql should result
in installing mariadb, unless the user takes specific action to get
mysql instead.  Ideally we'd just do the standard Provides/Obsoletes
dance for replacing one package with another, but I'm not quite sure how
that should work if we still want original mysql to be installable.  Any
thoughts from RPM experts would be welcome.

(If the compatibility testing goes *really* smoothly, maybe we could
just drop the requirement for original mysql to still be available,
in which case it reduces to the standard package-replacement problem.
But I'm not prepared to bet on that quite yet.)

> Also, what about those packages depending on unversioned "mysql"?
> move those in the next cycle when mysql is completely dropped?

We could leave 'em as is, couldn't we?

                        regards, tom lane