Bill Nottingham <nott...@redhat.com> writes:
> Tom Lane (t...@redhat.com) said:
>> (If the compatibility testing goes *really* smoothly, maybe we could
>> just drop the requirement for original mysql to still be available,
>> in which case it reduces to the standard package-replacement problem.
>> But I'm not prepared to bet on that quite yet.)

> Honestly, I'd be curious as to whether we could get all the compatibility
> testing done early enough, and packages changed, such that we could consider
> dropping MySQL. It's just... cleaner.

Quite honestly, I'd prefer that too.  But we need to have a good case
that it's not going to break very many things for very many people.
Database people hate it when you break their database.  So ... as
mentioned in the feature page, we really need help testing this during
the F19 devel cycle.  We'll need to make decisions before we reach
alpha/beta stage.

It strikes me that we missed a bet in setting up the mariadb package
for only F19-and-up in git.  If we made a version available for F18,
that would allow people to test compatibility without having to run
rawhide, which is something that would give most DBAs the willies.
However, that would require facing the problem of how to declare the
package vis-a-vis mysql, since we surely can't drop mysql from F18.
So I could still use some advice as to how we might work the
provides-obsoletes-conflicts mechanics for that.

                        regards, tom lane