On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 21:21:41 -0500, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

> While audacious can be made to look similar to xmms, it is not xmms,

True, and it doesn't try to duplicate XMMS anyway. It had only started as
a fork of BMP. From its description:

| Historically, it started as a fork of Beep Media Player (BMP), which
| itself forked from XMMS.

With emphasis on "historically" -- so much has been rewritten. That's
good, because some of the inherited visualization code (especially for the
scaled skinned mode) was really ugly with lots of stack-smashing and other
forms of memory corruption.

> and indeed they are very different from each other. xmms (with ALSA)
> is the only player  that consistently worked for me with no problems
> for the last 11 years.

Consider yourself lucky. ;)

> Moreover it uses the best (in my opinion) GTK
> version out there.
>
> If the esound or pulseaudio plugins are problematic, let us retire
> them. I don't think xmms will be used by other people than us fanboys,
> and I feel that we are fine with the ALSA output.

The xmms-pulse tickets are all closed/wontfix. It might still be possible
to copy fixes from Audacious' Pulse Audio output plugin (which had started
with the same code base), but it could be that touching XMMS will also be
necessary (with regard to saving/restoring volume levels).

If anyone thinks xmms-pulse works, oh well, keep it, but don't just keep
it because it still builds. I assume that Lennart Poettering, the (original)
author of that plug-in, could tell what's wrong with it nowadays.

> Anyhow it looks like spot was kind enough to pick it up, so no worries :)

Already long ago.

--
Fedora release 19 (Rawhide) - Linux 3.8.0-0.rc7.git0.1.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.10 0.22 0.28