Hi,

On 02/15/2013 07:57 AM, Stef Walter wrote:
On 02/14/2013 06:35 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi,

On 02/14/2013 01:28 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Thu, 2013-02-14 at 10:53 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 03:49:23 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

DJ Delorie wrote:
Disadvantage, if you ask me.  First thing audacious did was spew
random errors to the screen and change my Firefox and emacs cursors.

So I suspect that Audacious started gnome-settings-daemon.

It doesn't do that when I use OpenBox instead of GNOME, so OpenBox
does not auto-spawn g-s-d.

However, one of its plug-ins talks to DBus (org.gnome.SettingsDaemon)
for GNOME media player keyboard shortcuts. That plug-in is enabled by
default and by request, and anyone not running a compatible environment
can easily switch it off in the preferences.

Or you could fix the plugin to not auto-start the daemon so we don't get
blamed for Audacious bugs...

Actually after seeing this thread I was planning on sending a mail to
ask people how to fix this. I guess that dbus-activation causes
g-s-d to start when the audacious tries to talk to it.

Rather then a less the friendly worded reply, it would be actually
helpful if you could tell us (pointer to a code example would be a
bonus) how to talk to a dbus interface without causing
dbus-activation to trigger.

Nothing fancy:

http://developer.gnome.org/gio/unstable/GDBusConnection.html#GDBusCallFlags

or

http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/api/html/group__DBusMessage.html#ga1596d92a8d604f954b48c7410263d2f0

Thanks, that is likely / hopefully exactly what we're looking for.

Regards,

Hans