DJ Delorie wrote:
> Disadvantage, if you ask me.  First thing audacious did was spew
> random errors to the screen and change my Firefox and emacs cursors.

So I suspect that Audacious started gnome-settings-daemon. In the past, some
GNOME apps kept doing that under KDE Plasma sessions as well, until we
started installing xsettings-kde by default, which claims XSettings
ownership and thus prevents gnome-settings-daemon from running.

> If "I don't run gnome" is considered "other serious system issues", I
> suppose so.

Well, it looks like you aren't running ANY desktop environment, or at least
one that doesn't provide an XSettings manager.

Unfortunately, gnome-settings-daemon is a real annoyance, you cannot rely on
it running when you don't use GNOME, because it's autostarted only in GNOME,
but then some stuff ends up starting it for whatever reason. GNOME
developers say it should only ever run in GNOME sessions, but somehow it
still gets autospawned by some stuff, and only having some other software
claim XSettings ownership (as xsettings-kde does in KDE Plasma sessions)
will stop it from applying GNOME settings in the middle of your session.

> Restarting didn't help, I still had the wrong cursor in emacs and
> firefox, but only the emacs and firefox run remotely back to my
> display, the local emacs and firefox had the right cursors.  I still
> can't figure out how to get rid of the wrong cursor without also
> getting rid of the right cursors, so I'm currently *not* using Xcursor
> because the theme stuff is so confusing.

Did the evil gnome-settings-daemon even get autospawned? Try "killall
gnome-settings-daemon".

        Kevin Kofler