On 03/16/2013 06:55 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On 15/03/13 09:48 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 03/15/2013 07:51 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

In this case it seems perfectly logical. The thing in question is a cron
script.
May-be I am missing something, but the issue is not cron-jobs in
general, it is unwanted, non-user-intended/initiated network access.

You're missing that there are two questions: whether the
network-accessing-thing should be on by default,
"Unwanted/non-user-intended network access" => Must be disabled by default and must explicitly activated by user action.

and what mechanism
should be used for enabling / disabling it.
Plenty of possibilities: editing a config file, adding a GUI, moving the cron-stuff into a separate package, removing the cron-stuff and/or redesigning the tool.

I for one consider the approach of background updating to be a conceptionally broken and flawed design, lacking generality and usability.

I was addressing the second
question, not the first.
OK

Ralf