On 03/17/2013 11:13 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Ralf Corsepius wrote:
"Unwanted/non-user-intended network access" => Must be disabled by
default and must explicitly activated by user action.
[snip]
I for one consider the approach of background updating to be a
conceptionally broken and flawed design, lacking generality and usability.

The same can really be said for ALL cron jobs. They all run some background
task the user didn't ask for and periodically consuming his/her resources,
usually when it's the least appropriate.
Depends.

I see a substantial difference between a cron-job working locally only and cron-jobs triggering dial-outs, or worse, potentially downloading 100s of MBs.

That said, I do not have a problem with local-disk only cron-jobs and the like (updatedb, smartd etc.).

The performance regressions cron-jobs may cause are a different matter and IMO, entirely independent problem (They are more an inconvenient nuisance, but they do not cause immediate material harm, like dial-outs can do).

Ralf