Hi,

Am 09.04.2013 14:27, schrieb Matthew Miller:
On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 10:10:26AM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
I'm wondering what the interest would be in keeping packages
referenced in metadata on the mirrors for say a month? We'd probably
need a separate fedora-security repo too that's designed to be kept
small enough so that metadata checks every day would be not costly in
terms of bandwidth and time.
If anyone is interested in doing this, you'd be awesome. Thanks.

I've heard of a plan in development about batching non-critical updates into
monthly sets. It seems like these two things could go together

I'm sorry, but that is a very bad idea. When users report bugs, and I mean
real bugs here, like crashes or non working functionality. I always do
my best to get them a fixed package asap, and AFAIK they really appreciate
this.

Moreover this is just a very non Fedora thing to do, one of the things
Fedora is, is about being First. A lot of out users expect us to quickly give
them new packages after upstream bug-fix releases. Lumping these all together
in a single day in the month just does not feel like a Fedora thing to do.

Also many packages in Fedora are maintained by volunteers lumping all the
updates together will mean a flag day where all of the packages maintained
by someone will get pushed at once, leading to a peak in work load, since
despite testing, etc. There will be regressions as well as new packages
sometimes leading to questions. And there also will be a peak workload
a few days before the flag day to try and get things in now, instead
of needing to wait a month.  Having such peak workloads is not a good
idea in general, and esp. not with volunteers.

Regards,

Hans