On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 09:08 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
Historically, chain-builds were only supported in the Rawhide branch
because it was the only location that could auto-generate the buildroot.

However, the modern version of bodhi now supports allowing users to
submit individual packages to the buildroot of any branch.

It would make life easier for a great many people if 'fedpkg
chain-build' could gain the capability to automatically submit
buildroot overrides on non-Rawhide branches.

I've opened an RFE on the upstream fedpkg project here:
https://fedorahosted.org/fedpkg/ticket/6

This might make an excellent and highly-useful GSoC project. I've
added it to the Summer Coding Ideas Page[1]. I'm not the best person
to act as mentor, since I don't know the code, but I'd be okay acting
as a backup mentor.

I know the code quite well, as I implemented a fedpkg-like tool (also based on pyrpkg) for $dayjob, and I had sent a few patches to Jesse. (which reminds me I still have a couple that I never sent back!)

I also know the Bodhi code intimately, again because I deployed it at $dayjob (and that implied quite extensive patching to remove hardcoded Fedora assumptions).

However, I don't have commit permissions to fedpkg (but I do have them for Bodhi), and as such I wouldn't be able to ensure the changes actually get merged.

So I probably wouldn't be the best person to mentor either, but if a student is interested and nobody else wants to, I could eventually act as one.

--
Mathieu