On 10/04/13 07:58 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

On Wed 10 Apr 2013 10:59:03 AM EDT, Tom Callaway wrote:

On 04/10/2013 09:08 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

Historically, chain-builds were only supported in the Rawhide
branch because it was the only location that could auto-generate
the buildroot.

However, the modern version of bodhi now supports allowing users
to submit individual packages to the buildroot of any branch.

It would make life easier for a great many people if 'fedpkg
chain-build' could gain the capability to automatically submit
buildroot overrides on non-Rawhide branches.

My only concern with this is that on non-Rawhide branches, these
overrides are temporary. I'd hate for this to result in incomplete
update pushes.

I don't really see how that would be any worse than the current
situation where updates sometimes land in stable before their
dependencies do (because Bodhi doesn't yet support listing other
updates as dependencies).

We've probably been round this roundabout before, but updates are supposed to be internally consistent. If an update to Package A also requires Package B to be updated, both packages should be submitted as a single update. You should not submit one update for A and one for B. When I catch these cases, I file negative feedback until the updates are corrected.

I think it might be possible for a sufficiently sophisticated version of the proposed mechanism to help the packager out with doing this, in fact: it could help you do a chain build and then submit an update containing the full chain/set of packages.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey