My "minimal desktop" is OpenBox with fbpanel and lightdm. I'm guessing
there are others; openSUSE has a minimal desktop using a stripped
IceWM. I've lived comfortably with WindowMaker and even twm.

The key to minimizing a desktop IMHO is getting a lighter browser.
It's really hard to use a machine without a browser these days, and
both Firefox and Chromium are humongous. They've got great JavaScript
engines but who needs all that other stuff?

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjo...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 07:49:23PM +0200, Sandro Mani wrote:
>> I would define minimal as the absolute minimal set of packages which
>> allows the shell to load. This resulting setup is not meant to be
>> usable without the user installing additional packages he or she
>> wishes. So such groups would not be meant for "normal" users
>> (whatever that means), but for developers and power-users which want
>> to build up their setup from the bottom up.
>
> How about a lightweight desktop environment (it would just come with
> twm/fvwm or similar plus a terminal - I'm sure this exists already)?
> Does it need to be a minimal GNOME or KDE?
>
> Rich.
>
> --
> Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
> virt-top is 'top' for virtual machines.  Tiny program with many
> powerful monitoring features, net stats, disk stats, logging, etc.
> http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top
> --

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers Workbench
http://j.mp/CompJournBench/

Get out of the building - and don't come back till you have the order!