On 07/15/2013 08:29 PM, Lars Seipel wrote:
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 02:46:27PM -0600, Eric Smith wrote:
I don't actually care whether there's a binary journal or not, but far
more of us have real usecases for /var/log/messages, so we shouldn't
give up that being available by default.
If you use bash or ksh you could just replace /var/log/messages with
<(journalctl) in your command line and stuff should just work (when
reading). Other shells can probably do the same. It obviously depends on
journalctl being able to run.
What about scripts that use /usr/bin/logger? Do messages generated by this
utility
end up in the journal? Or php scripts, or programs using syslog(3).

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*