Once upon a time, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johan...@gmail.com> said:
> On 07/17/2013 07:05 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 05:42:21PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >>yum whatprovides "/var/log/*" | grep Filename | wc -l
> >>597
> >>About that much....
> >That's not so helpful. Most of these are things which provide their own log
> >files of some sort and completely bypass syslog. In fact, we can probably
> >_subtract_ anything on that list.
>
> Irrelevant since it's either a tool or an admin that is looking into
> those logs and both come up empty handed hence it needs to be fixed
> one way or the other. ( sub-packaged )

No, it is not irrelevant, your count is.  Your search found things like
httpd, which provides /var/log/httpd, and writes its logs there.  The
proposed syslog removal has no effect on httpd, because it doesn't use
syslog for logging by default.

The same is true of all the other matches you counted.  The proposed
change will have ZERO effect on anything that writes directly to
/var/log (other than rsyslog itself).
--
Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net>