On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Robert Marcano
<rob...@marcanoonline.com> wrote:
> The directory is not called /usr/share/web-javascript, it is called
> /usr/share/javascript, and the packaging guidelines draft explicitly says
> that the intention is to avoid duplication of libraries, so it is calling to
> move all JavaScript reusable code/frameworks/libraries to it, not only
> browser based JavaScript, and I quote:

/usr/lib/python2.7 is not called /usr/lib/cpython2.7, because when
most people think "Python", they think "CPython", since that has been
the main implementation of Python for 22 years.

Similarly, /usr/share/javascript is not called
/usr/share/web-javascript, because when most people think
"JavaScript", they think "browser JavaScript", since that has been the
main implementation of JavaScript for 18 years.

There are cool other implementations of Python that work differently,
like PyPy, which uses /usr/lib/pypy.  There are cool other
implementations of JavaScript, like Node.js, which uses
/usr/lib/node_modules.

Being pointlessly pedantic in either of these cases would just confuse
users for no benefit.

Debian already uses /usr/share/javascript for this purpose, and it
would be really nice if we both could coordinate on getting some
upstream support for this in certain cases.  I'm very strongly -1
against pointless Fedoraisms here.

> "There are also some JavaScript libraries which are intended to be used on
> the local system, not served via a web server to a browser. These libraries
> clearly have all the standard reasons to avoid duplication."

The preamble before this and the Install Location section afterward
clearly states that there is JavaScript on the system that doesn't
belong it /usr/share/javascript, like GNOME Shell Extensions and
Node.js modules, which live in directories of their own, but the rest
of the guidelines still apply to them.

I don't really need to repeat that in every paragraph, do I?

> and later it contradict what you say, indicating that they must use
>
> "BuildRequires:  web-assets-devel" and
> "Requires:  web-assets-filesystem"
>
> So, it means all JavaScript, even the used on the local system must depend
> of web-assets

web-assets-filesystem contains a handful of directories and symlinks.
It does not drag in Apache configuration.
web-assets-devel defines a few RPM macros.  It also does not drag in
Apache configuration.

web-assets-httpd contains the Apache configuration.  js-foo libraries
MUST not depend on it, since they could be used with any HTTP daemon.

-T.C.