Am 15.10.2013 19:54, schrieb Chris Adams:
> Once upon a time, Jan Kratochvil <jan.kratoch...@redhat.com> said:
>> On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:42:25 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> * look at the amount of updates and how they hit prelinked libraries until
>>>   prelink ran again
>>> * look at the "lsof | grep DEL | grep /usr" output caused by prelink
>>
>> Sorry I do not see what disadvantage is it?
>
> If you install updates, reboot, and log in, you are running
> non-prelinked binaries/libraries.  If you don't log out (just lock
> screen or suspend for example), when you next use the system after
> prelink has run, new programs will use the prelinked bins/libs.  Now you
> are wasting a chunk of RAM, as it can't be shared between non-prelinked
> and prelinked bins/libs

*and* because prelink is the reason *not* build a lot of packages
with position independent code because it can't be prelinked and
the excuse is that prelink itself does a little randomization
in the case you reboot after updates and login you have pretty
well *disabled ASLR at all* until re-login after prelink did
it's job

from security point of view prelink is nothing else than a
nightmare and it stands in the way get the whole distribution
hardened

for what gain?
for one where you can't make a distinct between prelink optimization
our typical noise on a multi-threaded operating system?