On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 20:25:10 +0200, Paul Wouters wrote:
> - complexity
> - complicated prelink blacklists
> - complicated cron job exclusion with sysconfig

You can always make your software development life more simple by giving up on
some useful feature.  That -O2 vs. -O0 build is a good comparison.

> - FIPS foot-bullets

I really do not care and do not run FIPS.  Disable/uninstall prelink for FIPS.

> - reduced alsr

I do not know the details but the network facing daemons are already PIE while
most of the binaries - those not facing untrusted data - have no use for PIE.

> Other people added:
>
> - battery drain (i dont care if its cron or not, without prelink no
>   drain)
> - sluggish systems when prelink is updating

This is a bug in cron and/or people not running 24x7 machine should not use
prelink at all.

> - additional ram use when logged in for a long time

Answered in:
        https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-October/190237.html

> So far you seem to say "those are not prelink bugs".

True.

> Just the FIPS issue for me

That's for you but majority of Fedora users do not run in FIPS mode.

> Furthermore, in the past I've indicated that we should have support for
> systems booted in FIPS mode with fips=1, where though libraries and
> programs that could not be prelinked should be unprelinked, as the
> sysadmin specifically told us (via fips=1) that they value security over
> speed gains)

OK, great, so unprelink the programs.

> prelink has served us in the past. It's time to let it go.

People continually give up on software performance with better hardware.
64-bit systems nowadays run commonly slower than did the 8-bits in 1980s.

Jan