On 10/15/2013 07:20 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"<johan...@gmail.com>  said:
>I say we should remove it from the standard comps group thus making
>it optional to install for people that see some benefit in still
>using it.
I'd actually suggest that prelink be an all-or-nothing.  If it isn't in
the default install, support for it in the other things that interact
with it will bit-rot (and maintainers will have little incentive to fix
problems).

Well for the first I'm not so sure all application that can and might benefit from are using it and quite frankly I seriously doubt that based on the many half implementation of things I've come across in the distribution.

If it isn't in the default install, it should probably just be removed
from the distribution.  If it improves performance noticably, then keep
it; if it doesn't, why should it be kept at all?  It has non-zero
support cost outside of the package itself.

And from my point as long as people are willing to maintain it ( which should indicate they are actually using it since it would be beneficial to at least them ) we should ship it but we should just make it option to install.

Again it does not improve performance it improves startup of application as in the application will not work any faster with it turned on...

JBG