On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 09:02 +0100, Matthias Runge wrote:
> On 12/12/2013 04:19 AM, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> > On Wed, 2013-12-11 at 17:18 +0100, Matthias Runge wrote:
> >> The idea behind is:
> >>
> >> you have some application with an issue/error. You'll do rpm -qf
> >> <filename> and will get a package name, not necessarily the source
> >> package name.
> >> When filing a bug against a package, you'll need to know the source
> >> package name.
> >
> > rpm -qi gives you the source package.
> >

> So, why do we hide it this way?
>
> How is a new user or a GUI-only person

Well, you were talking about someone who had just used rpm -qf, so in
that context rpm -qi made a lot of sense.

> able to find the right package to
> file a bug against? A nasty person might even say: this is by purpose ;-)

As far as I know, pkgdb is not targeted at end users but at package
maintainers (as it handles the ACLs on packages).

/packages is more targeted at users, and it does show what is the base
package for a given subpackage.

For example: https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/libcangjie-devel

In case you miss the "Subpackage of XXX", you can just click on the
"Bugzilla" link, which will open a bug against the proper base package.

You could argue that the two apps should be only one, but that's a
different discussion. (and the people actually doing the work to
implement and maintain those apps feel that it's better to separate
them)

--
Mathieu