On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 03:27:07PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-09-05 at 20:53 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> > system-config-lvm was removed from rhel7 while g-d-u is not able to
> > configure lvm. so it _definitely_ a step forward. and really not agree
> > with you about the root user usage. you imho those who would like to
> > configure disk and lvm should have to be root privileges and should have
> > to know what he does. it's again so lennartish when you belive a buggy
> > pulse is better then a working alsa if the concept is better. NO simple
> > it's not true. a usable working program always better the a perfectly
> > design idealism which never really works.
>
> I don' think this is a productive direction to take this discussion in.
> This has nothing to do with Lennart, alsa or idealism. Separating the
> privileged mechanism from the UI is really not 'design idealism', but
> simply with good engineering practice. Pointing this out is not being a
> 'negative nelly' either, but providing constructive feedback.

While constructive feedback may be there, the message also had:

"gnome-disk-utility got that right. the new blivet ui did not. And this
is not something you can add as an afterthought, you actually need to
do your homework and split things up into privileged and
non-priviliged parts from the beginning."

Which I read as "you've failed and it's not something you can fix."

I feel this is an incredibly negative attitude and discouraging to anyone
trying to contribute to the Fedora community.  If that was truly the case
with software [being unable to correct things later], we'd have a much
different system than we do today.

If you are going to offer constructive feedback, don't then change course by
saying it's hopeless.  You're canceling out your statements that way.

--
David Cantrell <dcantr...@redhat.com>
Manager, Installer Engineering Team