On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 6:50 PM, Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 17.10.2014 um 17:07 schrieb drago01:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040...@freenet.de>
>> wrote:

>>> Well a package installer can't have the knowledge which would be required
>>> determine such a decision.
>>>
>>> E.g. though a user could be connected via a fast connection he may have a
>>> limited download contingent or could be charged at a high rate per
>>> download
>>> volume.
>>>
>>> I.e. I don't see a possibility but to leave the final decision to the
>>> user.
>>

>> Did you even read my mail? The point is there shouldn't be a choice to
>> be made in the first place. Which makes "how to choose what" moot.
>

> so how do you imagine that decision happens later?
> the user deliberate makes the change?
>
> don't get me wrong but than you have no expierience about the ordinary
> users, they don't do anything, even not react if someone alerts them about a
> hacked mailaccount abused for spam-sending over days and after security
> warnings about Heartbleed and "please change your passwords" another one
> choses his first name as new secure password
>
> *that* is what you can expect from users and if you work in the IT and have
> a different expierience go out every morning and kiss them!

I have no idea what your mail has anything to do with that but I try
to explain it one more time.
Currently we have

1) deltarpms -> low bandwidth use but takes a while to apply the updates
2) no deltarpms -> high bandwidth use but faster updates application.

So now people suggest the user (or the distro) has to either choose 1) or 2) ...

What I am suggesting is adding a third option:

3) Use less bandwidth *and* apply updates fast (by fixing deltarpm).

So if we have 3) the choice between 1) and 2) does not make much sense.