Am 20.02.2015 um 18:21 schrieb Peter Robinson:
I've never argumented against the goal that web browser or all network aware
services should be PIEs, after all, why would we (Ulrich Drepper and myself)
add the PIE support into the toolchain otherwise?
I'm just not convinced most of the unpriviledged programs should be PIEs.

Thanks to e.g. e-mail about any program can be made to run untrusted
data, e.g. PDF readers, office suites, image viewers, if you open an
attachment of the respective type. Therefore it makes a sane default
IMHO. It is also something to attract users that care about security
very much to Fedora.

So your saying here that this is miraculously going to stop people
from running random binaries that are being emailed to them?

nobody said that

but it may stop a otherwise successful exploit in the application opening the malicious attachment targeting a unknown or unfixed security hole

just going stop people from running random non PIC/PIE binaries? I
don't buy that this is a miracle fix to that problem. How then does it
affect other third party binaries not compiled with PIC/PIE that
people might wish to run?

you can't fix and protect every binary on the world

but you can raise the bar for distribution packages
without PIC/PIE ASLR won't work