On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also I've seen no performance analysis across all three architectures
> to see the impact. I'll happily send you an XO-1 to test on (our
> lowest supported device on i686 and also one of our most widely
> deployed Fedora device) and ARM hardware if you've not got access to
> test.

Side tangent.  Maybe we should stop holding ourselves accountable to the XO-1.

OLPC doesn't produce these any longer.  I don't even think you can get
a XO-1.5 and the information on XO-1.75 makes it appear to be limited.
Efforts appear to have shifted to ARM based laptop/tablet devices
(XO-4).  There's the whole Android angle now to, which frankly makes a
lot of sense for them.  Even the latest OLPC OS development release is
based on Fedora 20 and is targeted at the XO-4 hardware.

I understand the underlying OS on the XO-1 is Fedora based.  However,
the latest recommended update is Fedora 17 based and the latest
available update (which is already noted as slow) is Fedora 18 based.
It was a major downstream Fedora remix and somewhat a successful one
at that.  But the likelihood of OLPC XO-1 actually being impacted by
changes made in Fedora 23 seems to be small.  They've moved on.  So
should we.

If you want to bring up arguments about ARM impacts to the XO-4, fine.
At least that seems somewhat relevant.

josh