Paul W. Frields wrote:
> This is correct.  The infra team discussed this some time ago and
> since Github does nothing to lock up the resources we care about,

So you'd only see lock-in to proprietary infrastructure as a problem if they
were actively locking things up?

Even if now, everything can be exported, who says the feature will not have
been removed by the time we need it? Sure, you have local clones of the git
repositories, but what about issues in the issue tracker?

> and exposes our code to a much wider (*1000 at least) group of developers,

If a developer wants to contribute to Fedora infrastructure, surely, signing
up for a FAS account cannot be an unacceptable barrier to entry!

> among other reasons, judged it OK.  Having a PR-based workflow has
> helped the team be a lot more agile at no cost to the freedom of our
> code.

I still don't get what is supposed to be easier about:
1. create a personal fork through a web interface,
2. clone the fork,
3. commit your change(s) to the clone,
4. push it/them to your fork,
5. open a pull request through a web interface
vs.
1'. clone the upstream repository,
2'. commit your change(s) to the clone,
3'. export your patch(es) with git format-patch,
4'. open an issue through a web interface,
5'. attach the patch(es) to the issue
(except of course on GitHub, where 5' is not possible because they do not
allow attaching anything other than images/pictures to their issue tracker,
presumably to force everyone to use the pull request workflow).

As for regular contributors, they should have direct commit access to
upstream anyway.

> Be that as it may, there is now pagure, and I imagine many if not all
> of these repos will be moving there.  Incidentally, pagure has some
> functionality to allow bidirectional code movement with Github, which
> gets the best of both worlds.

Code, yes, but what about issues?

> If someone doesn't like making a Github account, in the interim
> they're still free to fork as would be usual for any repo (including
> hundreds of projects we carry in Fedora repositories), and send a
> patch to the list.

And how should they report a bug without a GitHub account if you point
everyone to GitHub as your official issue tracker?

        Kevin Kofler