On Thu, Dec 17, 2015, at 10:24 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Can you give realistic examples for these? Can you explain what you
> are intend to run as PID 1 in them instead?

Nothing, if the pid namespace did zombie collection in the kernel,
you don't need a separate init.

> What is cleaning up /tmp
> for those things?

You bind mount the container's /tmp to a host /tmp/container-$uuid
for example.

> What is setting up the tmpfiles bits in /run for
> them, and so on?

One would carry this in the Dockerfile or equivalent if it applies,
although it doesn't for a lot of software.

Your broader point is very valid - we're going to need a lot
of software to run both on the host outside of a container,
underneath systemd, but we're also trying to enable a
fully container-only distributed/cluster model via Kubernetes/Docker,
and in the end microservice state, it just doesn't make sense
to have a systemd instance per microservice in a cluster.