On Thu, Dec 17, 2015, at 10:54 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:

Because microservice containers are a valid goal, and allowing them
to be more minimal while still pulling in glibc etc. is useful (from
the start of this thread).

> Note that PID 1 is in more ways different than just reaping
> processes... For example for PID 1, SIGTERM usually is a request for
> reexecution, and SIGINT a request for reboot, while for non-PID1
> processes these are requests for termination and cancelling...

I don't think anyone really cares about the traditional PID 1 signal
handling in a Kubernetes cluster, it's just not used for administration.

> Well, that's certainly a opinion on this. I certainly disagree. It
> would essentially mean giving up on much what makes up an OS
> though, in particular, about half of whatthe packaging guidelines say
> what packages shall use and rely on.

Indeed, the current packaging model is designed for a world
where all software is installed on the host.  For a lot of
software (postgres, nginx), we need to support both.

But there's also a lot of software that is container-only, and
I expect this to increase.  This will be part of Dockerfile and
other container formats that we include as part of Fedora.

> If you want to replace systemd functionality with Docker functionality

Let's be clear - from my perspective systemd's design is awesome
for the *real* pid 1.  AFAIK no one here is talking about changing anything
related to that.  We're just talking about supporting microservice
containers without a pid 1 in the container namespace.