On 2016-01-15 09:42, Dan Horák wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 09:24:36 +0100
Tomáš Smetana <tsmet...@redhat.com> wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 14:38:08 +0100
Florian Festi <ffe...@redhat.com> wrote:

On 01/13/2016 02:36 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 13.01.2016 um 14:30 schrieb Richard Hughes:
On 13 January 2016 at 13:13, Reindl Harald
<h.rei...@thelounge.net> wrote:
so there is no justification to declare one need to install
from scratch just because rpm which works for many years fine
changes it's storage format

I don't think anyone said there was a need to reinstall from
scratch

so how do you translate "clearly not forward compatible"?

"forward compatible" means the old version of a program being able
to read/process newer version data.

The current rpm versions will not be able to read the new database
format.

I tend to use systemd-nspawn containers for building rpms. So for
example, I have a Fedora 24 system and use its dnf to create e.g.
Centos 7 container root and then build Centos rpms from within that
container.  If I understand the change correctly, this is going to
break since the Centos 7 rpm-build will not be able to read the
database created by the Fedora 24 dnf.

I know more people using dnf/rpm to "manage" the containers and this
is somewhat a regression for us.  I'm not sure there is a way to
prevent this breakage... So just FYI. :)

won't regular mock chroot have the same problem?

Mock uses --nodeps when running rpmbuild, because such incompatibilities already exist - for example when building EL 6 packages on F23 (i.e. RPM from EL6 cannot read the rpmdb in buildroot)

Michael