Josh Boyer wrote:
> This is a major part of why we disallowed them in the past and that
> was before any of the existing kernel team members were on the team
> yet.  Our stance has not changed over time or with the introduction of
> new team members.

And I still believe that it is wrong to reject modules under licenses
compatible with the kernel's GPLv2 license just because they are released
separately. We allow out-of-tree plugins for other packages too. (Imagine if
all Python modules were required to be built as part of the main Python
SRPM.)

That said, for the particular case of the ZFS module that originated this
thread, licensing issues preclude shipping it anyway, so in that case, the
discussion is moot.

        Kevin Kofler