On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 11:09:48AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 03:12:17PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > Using %{_sbindir} is just busywork. It is safe it too asume that is
> > $PATH.
>
> I sadly agree. Ship sailed for fixing this about a decade ago. It'd be
> a nice usability enhancement to get programs which are not intended to
> be run by humans out of $PATH, but I don't think it'd be worth the
> churn to do it.

It is still possible, by keeping various things in /usr/lib or
/usr/libexec. E.g. systemd does this to a large extent with a bunch of
binaries in /usr/lib/systemd.

The difference between /bin and /sbin was more about admin/non-admin
stuff, but with policykit and capabilities and whatnot things have become
so blurred that this distinction doesn't make much sense anymore.

Zbyszek