On 02/19/2016 12:16 PM, Petr Spacek wrote:

It is not black-white question.

Absolutely.

But I say, there should not be any room for -Werror in production SW/packages.

The fact,
* different version of gcc raise different warnings
* gcc on different architectures raise different warnings.
* gcc raises warnings on coding styles.
makes -Werror non-suiteable for long-term maintainance.

Worse, this causing non-experienced packagers to take action on non-issues and potentially introduce bugs.

Most absurd piece of a spec I saw in Fedora spec recently, was this:
export CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS -Wall -Werror -Wno-unused-function -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-array-bounds -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-logical-not-parentheses -Wno-error=misleading-indentation"

%configure

Ralf