On 02/24/2016 09:58 AM, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
On 02/24/2016 09:45 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
On 02/24/2016 09:30 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
1) usually after the branch I build new packages for rawhide (i.e.
$branch+1). But atm in the master branch, a `fedpkg build` gives me

      Could not execute build: Package glusterfs-3.7.8-1.fc24 has already
been built

Am I just too early? Or is there something missing that's preventing
builds for f25.

The branching is ongoing, there was infrastructure issues last night
so it's taken a bit longer than planned.

2) Despite several articles out in the wild claiming that {F22,F23,F24}
will switch to Python3 as the default, [1] would seem to indicate that
the only thing we're going to see is 1) the update of Python3 from 3.4
to 3.5, and 2) Python3 system-python and system-python-libs will be
split out; however the default python will remain Python2.

Is that correct?

Not really, py3 is the default by means of being the only python
shipped in a number of Fedora deliverables but there's also some that
can't move directly to pure python3 yet due to other issues (like
ansible only bein py2 at the moment). So it's a "it depends" answer.

To supplement this, it's the default in the sense that packagers are
expected to ship python3 packages if they are supported upstream and if
the package includes the same binary executable name for py2 and py3,
only the py3 package should ship it.

I guess I don't really grok what that means. And/or I didn't frame my
question very well.

I installed a fresh rawhide Fedora/Server two days ago.

It has both python-2.7.11-4.fc24.x86_64 and python3-3.5.1-4.fc24.x86_64.

Yeah, this is because the Samba and FreeIPA packages didn't quite finish their python 3 conversion in time. By F25, we should be able to avoid shipping python 2 in the default installation of Fedora Server.

  /usr/bin/python is a symlink to python2.

Under what circumstances will /usr/bin/python be Python3?

Under no circumstances whatsoever :)

"Python 3 by default" != /usr/bin/python -> /usr/bin/python3

Python 3 by default means that our install media shouldn't have to include python 2 (but it can still be in the repository)

Upstream python doesn't want any downstream distro to change the meaning of /usr/bin/python because far too much software depends on the (bad) assumption that this is always python 2. So that symlink won't change for the foreseeable future (Well, it might change in 2020 when Python 2 finally goes completely EOL).