On Aug 9, 2010, at 12:46 AM, Neil Graham wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-08-08 at 19:55 -0400, John Watlington wrote:
>> On Aug 8, 2010, at 7:15 PM, Neil Graham wrote:
>>
>>> There is a small open handheld console. http://www.openpandora.org/
>>> http://pandorapress.net/  The openness and friendliness of the community
>>> environment is a model for how things can work.
>>
>> The support page on that wiki points you to enter the bug in their bug
>> tracker.
>> What part of Pandora were you holding up as an example of better practices ?
>>

> Goodness I didn't realise the difference was that profound.  Community
> involvement is not a link on a webpage.  If that is the level of
> interaction that you have been looking at then you haven't even been in
> the right book let alone on the right page.

What thread were you responding to ?
My comment was in direct response to the mail that started this thread:

> On Aug 8, 2010, at 5:09 PM, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
>
>> The core here is that software developers seem very reluctant to step out of
>> their own comfort zone when it comes to processes and tools (a.k.a. point 3
>> a.k.a. "my way or the highway") yet consistently expect teachers and other
>> XO and Sugar users to do exactly that.
>>
>> This leads to the current situation in which crucial information and
>> feedback from these users does not make it back to developers and the
>> broader community. Therefore rather than working on things that users need
>> or need to work reliably (e.g. the Journal) resources are spent elsewhere.

I repeat my question to you:
How does OpenPandora provide a better method for users to feedback
comments/problems to developers ?

> I doubt I ever clicked on that link, yet I know how many Pandora's are
> out there, where the various components of the as yet unassembled
> Pandora's are,  what has been the most recent problem in getting them
> going.

Hmm.   Most of that information is readily available for XOs as well.

> I don't actually have a Pandora but I know that the first few units had
> sticky shoulder buttons, I also know that was due to the paint, and what
> they did to solve the problem.

And people on the OLPC devel mailing list are aware of early problems
with the pre-production XO-1.5s.   If you don't like mailing lists, there
is the wiki page for each version of hardware, e.g.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_1.5_C3

> There is a huge amount of transparency that just isn't there with
> OLPC.

Building first-rate hardware requires playing with the big boys.
And while I might not like the secrecy they impose as a condition for
playing, the end result is cheaper and more powerful for having played.

> Perhaps that was out of necessity,  most Pandora purchasers paid one or
> two years ago.  You can't ask people for a million dollars then not
> produce anything for a year without letting them know something is
> happening.  Nevertheless it has much better results.  There isn't the
> them and us feel.

We usually have to do a significant amount of hardware and software
development using chips that haven't even been publicly
announced yet.   The alternative is to use older, more power hungry
chips (as with XO-1).

As soon as possible, OLPC makes a significant effort to ship free
prototypes to anyone asking for one for a particular purpose
(e.g. working on Gnash, or Sugar).    And we use the devel mailing
list to keep these early users appraised of release and problems.