* Jeff Squyres wrote on Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 01:28:40PM CEST:
> On Jul 10, 2007, at 2:42 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
> >> 1. The most obvious one (to me, at least) is to require that
> >> people provide
> >> "--with-xx" when they build the system.
> >
> > I'll throw in another one for good measure: If --with-xx is given,
> > build with the component.  If --without-xx is given, disable it.
> > If neither is given, do as you currently do: enable it if you find
> > suitable libraries.
>
> FWIW, we have this already:
[...]

Ah good, I must confess I wasn't aware of this existing functionality
(I don't need it myself).  Thanks.

> > In case the number of components gets too large, have a switch to
> > turn off automatic discovery even in the nonpresence of --with* flags.
>
> Did you mean the equivalent of the --enable-mca-no-build switch, or
> disable *all* automatic discovery?

I meant: disable all automatic discovery.  But you guys are in a much
better position to decide which way is more useful.  All I wanted is for
you to be aware of existing possibilities (which you are, but that
wasn't obvious to me).

Cheers,
Ralf