The commit has been made - it is r15390. This commit restored the ability to execute singletons and singleton comm_spawn, both in single node and multi-node environments. It also includes a first step in our plan to reduce the ORTE system to the minimum functionality required to support Open MPI (more on that separately).
Short description of major changes: 1. singletons now fork/exec a local daemon to manage their operations. This was required not only to resolve the current problem, but also to deal with threading issues in the progress engine down the road. 2. the orte daemon code now resides in libopen-rte. This was needed so that mpirun could fully provide all daemon services since we no longer allow multiple daemons to share a node (so an orted could not co-reside with mpirun). 3. daemons no longer use the orte triggering system during startup. Instead, they directly call back to their parent pls component to report ready to operate. I have modified all the pls components except xcpu and poe (don't understand either well enough to do it). Full functionality has been verified for rsh, SLURM, and TM systems. Compile has been verified for xgrid and gridengine, and hopefully those environments will work - though I could not verify that was true. Note that singletons will *not* operate in Windows environments at this time. The ability to fork/exec the local daemon would need to be added first, assuming Windows can support singletons (I honestly don't know). Please let me know of any problems. Ralph On 7/12/07 1:45 PM, "Ralph H Castain" <r...@lanl.gov> wrote: > Yo folks > > Several of us are stuck waiting for this commit to hit. Rather than wasting > the next several hours, I'm going to make the commit now. > > So please be advised: if you do an update after this commit hits, you will > need to autogen. You may want to wait until a convenient time before doing > the update. > > Thanks > Ralph > > > On 7/12/07 7:53 AM, "Ralph H Castain" <r...@lanl.gov> wrote: > >> Yo all >> >> I have a fairly significant change coming to the orte part of the code base >> that will require an autogen (sorry). I'll check it in late this afternoon >> (can't do it at night as it is on my office desktop). >> >> The commit will fix the singleton operations, including singleton >> comm_spawn. It also takes the first step towards removing event-driven >> operations, replacing them with more serial code (to be explained >> separately). As part of all this, I had to modify the various pls >> components. For those I could not compile, I made a first cut at them that >> should (hopefully) allow them to continue to operate. >> >> Any of you using TM: we discovered that the trunk is not working currently >> on that environment. We are investigating - it has nothing to do with this >> commit, but predates it. >> >> Just wanted to give you a heads-up. Please refrain from making changes to >> the orte codebase today, if you could - it would simplify the commit and >> ensure we don't lose your changes. >> >> Thanks >> Ralph >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> devel mailing list >> de...@open-mpi.org >> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel > > > _______________________________________________ > devel mailing list > de...@open-mpi.org > http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel