SVN v1.5 has completely revamped how they do merging -- it is supposed to be much mo' betta (although I have not tried it myself). The whole business of needing to track what you have already merged on a long- lived branch has been eliminated; in this way, SVN v1.5 will be much more like git/hg/bzr.

However, a key difference over SVN will still be that git/hg/bzr are *distributed* VCS's, where SVN is still *centralized*. Several of us have been using distributed workarounds to SVN for a while (e.g., using git, hg, or svk as a gateway to the centralized SVN server); having a true distributed VCS could be quite nice. There are other advantages, too, such as publishing arbitrary temporary or research branches (perhaps even on your own server; you don't need to sign the OMPI 3rd party contrib agreement to get commit access to our server) that aren't ready for prime-time, etc.