Jeff Squyres wrote:
Brian and I chatted a bit about this off-list, and I think we're in agreement now:

- do not change the default value or meaning of btl_base_want_component_unsed.

- major point of confusion: the openib BTL is actually fairly unique in that it can (and does) tell the difference between "there are no devices present" and "there are devices, but something went wrong". Other BTL's have network interfaces that can't tell the difference and can *only* call the no_nics function, regardless of whether there are no relevant network interfaces or some error occurred during initialization.

- so a reasonable solution would be an openib-BTL-specific mechanism that doesn't call the no_nics function (to display that btl_base_want_component_unused) if there are no verbs-capable devices found because of the fact that mainline Linuxes are starting to ship libibverbs. Specific mechanism TBD; likely to be an openib MCA param.

So, if you are delivering something similar to a BTL for myrinet you will see the message but the belief is this is necessary since there isn't enough granularity in the error reporting of the device to feel comfortable enough as to whether the user want the device to be used?

Won't udapl have a similar issue here or does it not get built by default when OFED is built?

FWIW, our distribution actually turns off btl_base_want_component_unused because it seemed the majority of our cases would be that users would false positive sights of the message.

--td