Ok. With lots more off-list discussion, how's this pseudocode for a proposal:

# Main assumption: if the kernel drivers are loaded, the user wants RDMA
  # hardware support in OMPI.

  $sysfsdir = ibv_get_sysfs_path();
  # Avoid printing "Fatal: couldn't read uverbs ABI version" message.
  if (! -r "$sysfsdir/class/infiniband_verbs/abi_version") {
      if ($always_want_to_see_warnings)
          print "Warning: verbs ABI version unreadable\n";
      return SKIP_THIS_BTL;
  }

# If sysfs/class/infiniband does not exist, the driver was not started. # Therefore: assume that the user does not want RDMA hardware support --
  # do *not* print a warning message.
  if (! -d "$sysfsdir/class/infiniband") {
      if ($always_want_to_see_warnings)
          print "Warning: $sysfsdir/class/infiniband does not exist\n";
      return SKIP_THIS_BTL;
  }

# If we get to this point, the drivers are loaded and therefore we will # assume that there is supposed to be at least one RDMA device present.
  # Warn if we don't find any.
  $list = ibv_get_device_list();
  if (empty($list)) {
print "Warning: couldn't find any RDMA devices -- if you have no RDMA devices, stop the driver to avoid this warning message\n";
      return SKIP_THIS_BTL;
  }

  # ...continue with initialization; warnings and errors are
  # *always* displayed after this point

An overriding assumption here is that if the user requested *only* the openib BTL in OMPI and it fails to find any devices, OMPI will always print an error that it was unable to reach remote MPI peers (regardless of whether the default warning was previously printed or not).

Note that the two /sys checks may be redundant; I'm not entirely sure how the two files relate to each other. libibverbs will complain about the first if it is not present; the second is used to indicate that the kernel drivers are loaded.