On 6/21/2012 8:52 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
On Jun 21, 2012, at 8:40 AM, TERRY DONTJE wrote:

So you specify --with-ofed and you get mca_btl_openib generated?  ICK!!!  I
think that will just make things more confusing.  I am against this unless you
change the btl name.
We already have this situation.  There are 4 components that use OpenFabrics:

- oob ud
- btl ofud
- btl openib
- hwloc hwloc142
Ok, I think it is starting to sink in. the --with-openfabrics isn't declaring that one builds the openib btl but that the openfabrics stack is available to be used by any of the components that requires that stack (like the list above). So if someone specifies --with-openfabrics configure then tries to configure all components requiring the openfabrices stack. Likewise if someone say's --without-openfabrics none of the components requiring openfabrics will build?

If the above is right then I see the method to your madness and guess I agree with it.

--td
I'm saying that we call a spade a spade -- the common element between all of
these components is that they utilize OpenFabrics support.

The name OpenIB is soooo out of date that we really should get rid of it where
we can.  I'm volunteering to remove it in OMPI's configury.  Renaming the
openib component is a good goal too, but I don't have the cycles for that.

Also, per the bottom part of my original email, I'm changing my recommendation
to be --with-openfabrics (vs. --with-ofed).

Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
Oracle *- Performance Technologies*
95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803
Email terry.don...@oracle.com <mailto:terry.don...@oracle.com>