On 6/22/2012 3:36 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
To update everyone: there was much more discussion about this off-list.  :-)

We decided to do the following:

1. The name --with-verbs seems better than --with-openfabrics, if for no other reason
than the name "openfabrics" encompasses more things than we intend with this
name (e.g., udapl, psm, etc.).

2. There is a definite problem that needs to be fixed, but it is only partially
related to the renaming.  Basically: the proposed option renaming is occurring
opportunistically with this bug fix.

3. We are *not* renaming the openib BTL at this time.  It would be great if
someone would do this in the future, hint hint!

4. The behavior of --with[out]-verbs is as was described in a prior mail:
   - if --with-verbs is specified, all 3 verbs-based components must succeed
   - if --without-verbs is specified, all 4 verbs-based components will not
build
   - if --with-verbs=DIR is specified, all 3 verbs-based components must
succeed and will use DIR to find verbs headers and libraries
What does it mean that "all 3 verbs-based components must succeed"?
Does that mean you cannot specify --with-verbs=DIR --with-openib --without-ofud? Does it mean that if you specify --with-verbs=DIR and some other dependency is not found for openib btl that the configure fails? What is the 4th verbs-based component this is not built when one specifies --without-verbs.

--td
5. The new collectives / non-blocking collectives will likely revise some more
configury in this area when it comes in mid/late next week, because a bunch of
verbs stuff moved out of the openib BTL and into common.  Pasha and I will
revisit this when all that stuff is merged in next week.

6. I'll be committing the current --with-verbs stuff right now in order to fix
the bug that Brian is running in to.