On Jul 18, 2013, at 7:05 AM, David Goodell (dgoodell) <dgood...@cisco.com>
wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2013, at 8:06 AM, Ralph Castain <r...@open-mpi.org> wrote:
>
>> That's a good point, and a bad behavior. IIRC, it results from the MPI
>> Forum's adoption of the MPI-T requirement that stipulates we must allow
>> access to all control and performance variables at startup so they can be
>> externally seen/manipulated.
>
> Minor nit: MPI_T does not require this.  However, it does recommend that you
> offer users access to as many variables as possible as early as reasonably
> possible for the convenience and control of the user.
>
> If an implementation chooses to offer 5% of the possible control/performance
> variables to the user just before MPI_Finalize, that's still a valid MPI_T
> implementation.  But it may not be a very useful one...

The problem here is one of use vs startup performance. George is quite correct
with his concerns - this behavior would have been a serious problem for
RoadRunner, for example, where we had a small IO channel feeding a lot of
nodes. It will definitely become an issue at exascale where IO bandwidth and
memory will be at a premium.

This is especially troubling when you consider how few people will ever use
this capability. Perhaps we should offer a switch that says "I want access to
MPI-T" so that the rest of the world isn't hammered by this kind of behavior?