Just so people don’t spend a lot of time on this: as the release manager for
the 1.10 series, you are going to have to provide me with a great deal of
motivation to accept this proposed change. We ended C89 support way back in the
1.7 series, so reviving it here would really seem odd.

I haven’t yet seen anything on this thread that convinces me to accept it.