Just to clarify: we primarily use c99 features in our plugins as a means of
directly specifying which functions are being implemented, and which are not.
In c89, this can only be done by maintaining positional alignment - c99 allows
us to do this using the function names. Thus, the c99 method is much more
maintainable, which was a very large factor in our decision. It wasn’t just
cosmetic.

We have not found anyone raising an issue with this decision in the four years
since it was implemented. This includes installations running legacy Fortran
and C codes, all of which have updated their OMPI installations. So I don’t
think it is quite the dire situation you are implying.